One genetic problem that occurs in all genders is hair loss. Bald patches in your hair can not only leave you feeling embarrassed but also helpless. For this purpose, PRP-based treatments have been developed to help individuals solve their hair loss issues and gain their confidence back without experiencing harmful side effects.
Platelet-rich plasma is derived from the blood of the patient, making it a safer option than many other treatment methods since one is unlikely to suffer from allergic reactions from their own blood. The derived plasma is rich in several beneficial proteins and growth factors that collectively help repair hair and possibly boost hair growth.
While there is little research that supports PRP-stimulating growth of hair, the studies that are in favor are quite promising. Here is everything you need to know about the role of PRP in treating hair loss:
Platelet-Rich Plasma Hair Therapy
Platelet-rich plasma therapy was first introduced as a method to heal joints damaged due to surgery or injury. Here is how the process is carried out:
- A healthcare professional first draws the blood of the patient and then spins it in a centrifuge.
- The centrifuge helps separate the platelets and the plasma.
- The plasma then helps promote growth (both hair and cell growth) by repairing blood vessels.
After conducting detailed experiments, medical professionals discovered that plasma cells that have a high platelet concentration can help promote hair growth, and therefore, they started incorporating the use of PRP for hair therapy.
- After the patient’s blood is processed in a centrifuge, the doctors use a small needle to inject the plasma into specific areas of the patient’s scalp where they have experienced hair loss.
- While the number of platelet-rich plasma treatments a patient requires depends mainly upon their personal treatment plan and needs, doctors often recommend patients to maintain a gap of at least one month between treatments for maximum results.
- Maintenance treatments might be required every two to four times annually.
Remember that platelet-rich plasma therapy is not used as a cure for baldness; it is however used to increase the hair density and reduce the effects of baldness in patients.
Advantages of Platelet-Rich Plasma Hair Therapy
Platelet-rich plasma hair therapy offers several benefits including:
- Controlled hair growth cycle
- Triggered growth phase
- Maintained hair growth
- Increased blood supply to the hair follicles
- No recovery process or downtime
- The process takes only about 15 minutes
- Virtually painless therapy
If you are suffering from hair loss, PRP hair therapy might be an ideal option for you. Many studies suggest that PRP-based treatments are an effective and safe way of stimulating hair growth and reversing hair loss. Talk to a professional today to understand which type of hair treatment would be the best choice for you and get started right away!